Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been given a harassment warning. I would like to challenge

Customer Question

I have been given a harassment warning. I would like to challenge it. What evidence do I need to do it
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can't challenge a harassment warning I'm afraid. There is no mechanism to do so. They do not involve a finding of guilty or require any acceptance of the part of the subject.
They are no more than a police notice that further contact will be deemed harassment.
If there is further contact and you are arrested and offered a caution then that can be refused and you can challenge that in court but that hasnt happened.
You can always write to the chief constable registering an objection but it cannot be removed on that basis Im afraid.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it stay in police record
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we complain to the judicial system that the correct t procedure has not been used to issue the warning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of evidence is used in issuing the harassment warning
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't a particular procedure.
The harassment warning has no legal standing. It is just a police method of diverting away from a prosecution.
All they have to do is tell you even verbally that further contact is harassment.