Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

I am a trainer dental nurse but got Sick about 3 months into

Customer Question

I am a trainer dental nurse but got Sick about 3 months into my employment. Since then I am having treatment and can go back into surgery but have been left on reception rather than carry on training. Do I have a right to carry on my original job ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Does your contract state you are a trainee dental nurse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could somebody resond?
I am sorry for the delay in responding would you still like help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Have you asked your employer for your original job back? If so what was the response? Can you also tell me a bit more about your back injury, is it a long term problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't my back it was severe allergies and means I have to leave the room if it's used but yes I've asked when I can go back as the doctor hs now ok it, but I'm not getting any answers just fobbed off . Yes and the occupational doc has said I would be covered under the equality act .
You need to raise a grievance with your employer to say that you are covered by the Equality Act and that you are fit to resume receptionist duties. You should state that if you are not allowed to do so you consider that it amounts to direct discrimination contrary to the Equality Act and that they have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to facilitate a return to those duties even if it means giving additional breaks from your duty to manage your allergies.
If they refuse you can contact ACAS to start early claim conciliation and bring a claim even though you are still employed.
Your employer cannot dismiss you for this as it would amount to victimisation.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.