Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo; my fiance is currently on bail, and we're expecting

Customer Question

Hi Jo; my fiance is currently on bail, and we're expecting him to be sentanced sometime in the autumn. my family in the us wants to meet him at christmas time, however. if he recieves a suspended sentence (which his solicitor believes is likely) will be be able to travel with me to the states?
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is worth mentioning that he's on bail for the possession of indecent images of children; it's a habit which I was unaware of but has been going on for at least 15 years. He's cooperating fully with the investigation, and has re-interviewed to show his willingness. he clearly shows his remorse and accepts that it was an addiction for him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are there any conditions to his bail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Internet, specified address to stay at night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unsupervised Internet, rather. He must always return to his parents house (where he was arrested for the night ).
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Where is he planning to travel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
America
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In principle travelling is not prohibited.
However, if he is on a suspended sentence he will need the permission of his probation officer which would not normally be withheld in these type of circumstances.
Also, he would have to declare his conviction to the authorities in the States and they may be reluctant to grant a visa given the nature of the offence.
In principle it is possible but there are hurdles to over come.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo