How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick
Maverick, Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 5766
Experience:  20 years proefessional experience
16823287
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Type your question here. in our case my siblings and i own

Customer Question

Type your question here.
in our case my siblings and i own different percentages of an 8 acre field. one owns 40% shares and myself and 2 others own 20 % each. in "voting" does the 40% owner have 2 votes to our one ? when gifted from our parents, the solicitor told us any decision involving money had to be approved but all of us, unanimously. was that correct, or can 40% plus 20% ( 2 individuals total of 60% ) out vote 2 individuals ( total 40 %) thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Since you are able to own different % shares of the property, it appears that the deed papers show that you all own the property as "tenants in common" [TIC] as opposed to "joint tenants".
Under this TIC arrangement all parties are legal owners of the property and all parties will need to sign the sale/transfer documents before the property can be sold [assuming that is the voting issue that you are inquiring about].
However, the value of the property will be divided between you based on a written agreement or on your respective ownership percentages, if no alternative agreement exists.
That said, unanimous vote is not required for you to be able to transfer your particular ownership percentage to your heirs by a will if you die.
I am not sure if this answers your question. If not just write me back.
Otherwise, Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask related follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for the Summer of 2015 and beyond!

Related UK Law Questions