Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

If I am a company that manages blocks of flats and holds

Customer Question

If I am a company that manages blocks of flats and holds names and addresses of lessees is this covered by the data protection act?
***********
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Names and addresses are personal data and therefore in theory covered by the Data Protection Act 1998. Personal Data is anything that can be used to identify someone personally.
However you have a legitimate reason for holding this information which is to administer the management of the flat. It is therefore implied that you have consent to hold this data - accordingly I think you will only breach data protection rules if you start disclosing or using this data for purposes that are seemingly outside the consent.
For the sake of administering a block of flats (unless it is a particularly large block) I do not think you need to register with with Information Commissioner.
Do you have any further information or details you can give me?
Kind regards
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Can I assist you any further with this?
Kind regards
AJ