Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

I work in an HR function in the care sector and have

Customer Question

hello. I work in an HR function in the care sector and have been tasked with changing 1700 care manager job titles to care assistant. There are no other changes ie job content, salary, hours etc. the individuals work within 27 companies in a group of companies. They are not all employed by the same company in the group. I'm am not fully sure of the practical process to follow to implement this change. I have 2 routes in mind. 1) arrange for each company manager to hold a briefing with the impacted staff to advise of the proposal and reasons for the change, then hand out letters to advise of the same in writing. Provide 2 individual consultation meetings over 30 days then confirm change in writing. 2) write to each individual to advise of proposal to take effect in 30 days and reasons for change, offer individual meeting with manager then confirm in writing.
Also my concern is what if not all individuals in a company agree to the change. Or what if some companies do and some don't.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not managed a change on this scale before although I have managed redundancy consultation before on a small scale
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reason for the change is to align with the external marketplace - competitor companies use care assistant job title and also to align internally as out of 40 companies in the group 27 use care manager and all others use care assistant. My manager is telling me just to go ahead and implement the change but I really need guidance on how best to do this with least risk to the business. Hence paying for this advice myself.
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are you saying that the sole change is the title and not the role or pay?
Will the organisation be looking to reduce pay in the future?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sole change is job title. No pay or activity change being made or planned to be made. Change of job title purely to align externally and internally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to have a full detailed response/plan this evening as I need to start working on this urgently. I am available all evening to answer any further questions you may have. I need to prepare template letter/docs and project plan too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I hope you don't mind me chasing but are you able to let me have a response please. Thank you so much.
Hi I'm really sorry I was offline last night.
If the only change is the title rather than the role then this is not a redundancy situation so theoretically consultation is not required. In that sense the manager is correct that you can just implement the change without having to consult with employees.
However, from an employee relations point of view, I think you can anticipate some issues with this due to the fact that there may be perceived loss of status as the title of the job changing from 'manager' to 'assistant' may put some noses out of joint.
Whilst there is no need from a legal point of view for consultation it may be worth explaining that there is no change in role and that it is not the intention of the employer to reduce responsibility or pay to do this.
The employees do not need to agree to this change it can be imposed with no risk.
I think the best approach is to write to say the role title is being changed and to say that if there are any queries to speak to you (or your manager).
If you have any further questions please do ask. IF I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Really appreciated.
No problem, please do remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have.
All the best.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I note you have not yet rated my answer?