Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

So I work large Supermarket and in the store there

Customer Question

So I work for a large Supermarket and in the store there is a lesbian worker who smokes. She went out for a cigarette and a man approached her and asked her for a kiss. She said no, but he proceeded to move in for a kiss, making no contact with her. She pushed him away and she came back in the store. She confided in me about what happened. I had saw the man in the store previously and it was evident that he was under the influence of alcohol. He is from the same area as me and I told her I recognised him from my area. The managers would not bar him from the shop so she went to the Police weeks and weeks later (probably pushing a month and a half). I have been issued with a summons to appear in court to give evidence. I really do not want to go as I will miss out on a full days wage over this pathetic case. Is there any repercussions if I do not turn up? I told my managers and the police I wanted nothing to do with it but the police told me: "tuff, your already involved". Will the judge even entertain this case since it is so pathetic? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Yes, they will. You would not believe the mindless trivia that is currently called a sexual assault.
In any event, the Court has no option about it. CPS bring the case.
If you are on a summons then failing to attend is a contempt of court. It is not often prosecuted but you don't have the protection of being the victim and being able to hide behind all that nonsense. People do fail to attend all the time.
If you haven't made a statement already though then it would be very dangerous to summons you but that doesn't always stop the Crown.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo,Thanks for the reply.I have made a statement, but without being able to see my statement again I can barely remember what I said. I'm no lawyer and have never had any run-ins with the Police but am I not being dragged up here to give "hear-say evidence" as I never actually witnessed anything apart from being confided in?I just really do not want to go to this as I will have to miss a full 9 hour's pay to attend this ridiculous case.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
They will hand you a copy of your statement on the morning of trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks.So just to clarify before finishing;If I do not go, is there any realistic chance of any repercussions if I am not home on the day of the trial or will it be adjourned for a later date?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
It is very unlikely they would prosecute you for contempt.
What they will do is issue an arrest warrant for you if indeed they are prepared to do anything at all.
If you don't want to get involved in cases then just refuse to make statements. That way nobody has any rights over you at all.
Also, avoid women with a tendency to keep the police on speed dial and you will have no problems.