Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can someone be bailed with the enforcement of attending a homeless

Customer Question

Can someone be bailed with the enforcement of attending a homeless shelter and/or attending alcohol counselling?
Would any of the above affect child visitation rights and if so, how?
I am writing a screenplay and the homeless main character is trying to get sober and see his child when he is wrongly arrested for theft/pubic disorder and I need to know if Custody officer could bail them on these conditions individually or combined.
Submitted: 1 year ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
In theory it is possible but not likely.
Bail conditions should only be imposed to address actual bail concerns. There are four objections to bail. Failure to attend at court. Commission of further offences. Interference with witness. Risk to oneself.
A condition of bail that a person resides at a specific address can certainly be added and that is a very common condition.
Attending alcohol counselling doesn't really go to any of those objections except possibly the fourth and nobody really takes much notice of that objection.
The police do sometimes add conditions that are disproportionate but these just aren't really ones that would enter the mind of most custody officers.
Access to children is a family question and not my area. I cannot immediately see the nexus but I suppose the family court could say there is a risk if alcohol abuse is a factor.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo