Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (HONS) Over 23 years legal experience specialising in Property law and Wills/Estates
16368554

Who should find out about covernants t p o,s ranson strips

Customer Question

who should find out about covernants t p o,s ranson strips buyer or seller ?
Submitted: 1 year ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Could you please give me a little more information?
Are you the buyer and have you requested this information, via your Solicitor?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
buyer yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it my solicitors responsibility or the sellers to find out the answers to my questions and when
Thanks for your reply.
It is up to the Seller's Solicitor to send to your Solicitor a copy of the legal title of the property, and this will include any covenants affecting the property.
When your Solicitor receives this paperwork, he should send to you a Plan of the property to make sure it meets with your understanding. If there is a query over any ransom strip etc, you would need to raise this with your Solicitor and he will then query it with the Seller's Solicitor. If you are just inquisitive as to who owns a strip of land, it would be up to your Solicitor to investigate this on your behalf- provided the land in question is registered at the Land Registry, this won't be too hard for your Solicitor to deal with.
If there is a TPO affecting the property, this will show in the Local Search which your Solicitor will do. It is then good practice for the Seller's Solicitor to provide a copy. If you are desperate for a copy, you are entitled to have a look at all TPO's at your local Council and some Council's are happy to email a copy, although they may charge £20.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
Al