Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Using a friend or families online betting accounts. Is it

Customer Question

Using a friend or families online betting accounts.
Is it okay to use a friend or families betting account with their permission? I would transfer them funds to their bank and then deposit when needed, I will be placing bets and I will withdraw winnings and they would then transfer funds to me.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
You will need to check the terms and conditions of use. You are likely to find that only the person registered on the account can use the online service to comply with gambling and money laundering regulations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about in terms for the law? I'm aware the bookies terms and conditions will mostly state that this isn't allowed, but I want to know if it's illegal to do so.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would be illegal.
The account holder is a verified user.
A non-account holder is not verified.
As such there would be a breach, at the very least, of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 which required money laundering verification.
Also the Gambling Act 2005 which regulates online gambling makes it illegal to use somebody else's account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which part of the Gambling Act makes it illegal?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The part that deals with offering services to children (and gambling by children) - see sections 46 - 50 GA 2005. A registered user has been verified as an adult - anybody else using the account is a non-verified person and could therefore be a child; even if that person is not a child an offence could be committed by virtue of the fact that there is no way of checking the identity of the guest user. See also the money laundering offences under sections 327 - 334 Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. A non verified guest user could be laundering proceeds of crime via the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes it illegal for the bookmaker, not the user.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
A non-verified user is a person who has not had money laundering and age verifications checks done. That person will, therefore, be using the account in breach of money laundering rules.