Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law
18726264

We have just bought on the 12.05.2015 a used caravan from a

Customer Question

We have just bought on the 12.05.2015 a used caravan from a local dealer its 3/4 years old and we paid £12,600. We towed it to a caravan site about 50 miles away and set it up for the summer. It rained on Thursday night, I inspected the roof on Friday (yesterday). I now find that around one of the ski lights the roof has a dip in it and the water is ponding to a depth of about 10mm, with such a large amount of water its not likely to evaporate. I am very concerned by this, caravans are notorious for having leaks. We went to the dealer yesterday, they said they would send someone out to have a look at it.
Clearly with a dip of this size it will be difficult to fix as it will require major work to the roof. My question is do I have 14 days to ask for my money back, or does this not apply? I have the terms and condition and there is nothing in there. Or do I have to wait and see what they say.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could I please ask this to a UK laywer
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. You do not mention where you are located . The law is broadly the same in different parts of the UK but may be relevant. Essentially there is no cooling off period implied by law where you buy goods form a shop or show room. Cooling off periods only apply for remote sales such as interne selling or door to door selling. Under the consumer protection legislation goods must be fit for the pit purpose and of satisfactory quality. this applies both to new and second hand goods. Obviously with second hand goods the age and price can be taken into account. If the caravan is not fit for purpose you can reject it within a reasonable period and ask for your money back . What is a reasonable period is not defined but within a week should be fine. The debate of course will be whether the caravan is fit for purpose. From what you say there is no leak - yet. You are also entitled to require the seller to rectify any fault or replace the faulty goods. The difficulty with these issues is proving that the fault is serious enough to reject the caravan.
I recommend that you send an email to the dealer saying the hollow in the roof is a serious defect and unless they can rectify it immediately you wish to cancel and have a full refund.
How did you pay? Do you pay by bank transfer or by credit card? If you used credit then you have a claim against the credit card company as well.
Let me know if I can assist further.