Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

I am being harassed on various discussion forums by the same

Customer Question

I am being harassed on various discussion forums by the same man. He has posted personal details regarding myself, my husband, our three sons, my sister, whom he calls a criminal and has said multiple times has a criminal record (she does not). He has posted my sisters full address online (including street view photos of her house, and accused her of being a benefit cheat as he has found she is on DLA due to zero functioning kidneys and dialysises 3 times a week.(She is on Guys trans list). He's posted private medical details reg both my mother and sister. He has posted comments about relatives who have recently died. The latest comment online is as follows:
I for one can hardly wait for the next LeMons event.I plan to donate to.... (removed full name) and have a nice conversation with him again. This time I hope to take pictures.
The charity is close to our hearts as I am reg'd dis. & was given 4 hrs to live, this is our way of paying it fwd.Can I/we issue restraining order?TY.
Submitted: 1 year ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why is he doing this - what was the trigger?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clare,

The trigger was opposing views regarding the Amanda Knox case, originally my sister posted about AK'S guilt, the agressor about innocence.

I posted a few times but was drawn in defending some of the things he (and others) posted re my sister. From then, he (& a few others), but mainly him, have turned their attention to my family & I, thinking I am the weaker target of the sisters.

It sounds quite pathetic and I was intimidated enough to stop posting, especially after he mentioned details regarding my three children and personal info regarding a few relatives that passed last year, and my mothers recent heart attack.

He has mentioned talking to my husband at a charity event (to do this he would have flown from Ireland to the UK, so quite extreme), saying he will talk to him again soon, plus take photographs.

As I said, it is a charity close to our hearts after me being in ICU for 6 weeks and surviving after my husband and children were told I had 4 hours to live. This person is fully aware I (and my sister) are disabled and I do not want any "veiled" threats made towards my husband or his Charity Challenge.

I have told to this person he has been reported as my sister rec'd a vicious letter through the post. She is also now receiving letters from various companies that she has not contacted. The latest one being from the Job Centre, (who again she as not contacted). I know this persons details, but have kept them private, unlike him, who posted my sisters address online (one post was shut down which included photographs, but one post with full details remains).

Is there any way of issuing a restraining order (cost permitting)? I hope my message makes sense as since being ill, my spelling/comprehension is not as good as it used to be.

Please advise the best course of action?

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clare, sent you further info but have not yet received a response.

Did my further message get to you?

Sorry, not chasing you but will send another copy of my reply if needed.

best Wishes.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
My apologies for the delay
Has your sister reported this matter to the police?
Do you respond to this man in any way now?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

My sister reported the matter to the police who came within an hour as they felt the letter was threatening. Sadly, they have been unable to find any evidence on the envelope or letter - the letter was handwritten. My sister was in hospital when the letter arrived so unfortunately her daughter opened and read it.

I have responded a couple of times on a discussion thread saying the authorities have/will be informed.

I noticed some of the questions posted here are viewable to the public. Could this be excluded please? This person has a knack at finding info that I have no idea where he could have found it from. Thanks.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
May I ask why you are still involve din the discussion thread at all?
Clare
(and you will get the opportunity to lock the post later)
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have kept out of the discussion but have responded a few times to the "person" posting comments about my husband/children. Some I have ignored/some I have responded.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
You must stop any posting whatsoever - do NOT respond at all.
Then if he continues to post you can report the matter to the police who have wider powers t deal with internet crime than they had previously.
You can apply for a Civil Order
The procedure is described here
https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part65#IDAFVZIC
Please ask if you need further details
Clare