Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I have requested cctv footage of myself from an airport security

Customer Question

I have requested cctv footage of myself from an airport security service and been told that the data protection act doesn't apply. Is this correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
Why do you need the CCTV? What exactly was the response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My partner and I were shouted at and treated homophobically by a member of security staff when queuing to go through security checks at our local airport. We complained at the time and then in writing on our return from holiday. The response was that there would be an investigation and the security cctv would be reviewed. I then asked for a copy of the relevant CCTV footage (citing the data protection act) which was refused. "As you can appreciate due to the personal identification of staff and other passengers this can only be requested by the security or the police for breach of security or other police related matters". "Viewing of CCTV footage is not possible by a member of the general public."
Gov.uk identifies that :
"You have the right to request closed circuit television (CCTV) footage of yourself.
The CCTV owner must provide this within 40 days, and can charge up to £10.
You need to make a request in writing to the owner of the CCTV system. The owner’s details are usually written on a sign attached to the camera, unless the owner is obvious (like a shop).
You should tell them you’re requesting information held about you under the Data Protection Act, and provide information to help them identify you, like:
a specific date and time
proof of your identity
a description of yourself
The CCTV owner decides how they provide the footage, and can edit it to protect the identities of other people.
The CCTV owner can invite you to a viewing of the footage, but only if they’re unable to provide you with the footage itself.
They can refuse your request if sharing the footage will put a criminal investigation at risk."So my question is simple: is the airport security team correct in saying that they cannot provide me with this footage?Thanks
Nick