Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

8 years ago I purchased (as did my neighbours) a strip of land

Customer Question

8 years ago I purchased (as did my neighbours) a strip of land classed as agricultural land to extend my garden so that I could grow vegetables. Last summer I erected a shed on this land so that I could store garden implements and use the space near the windows to grow seeds. It is not heated but has electricity. It was only recently that a complaint was made to the local council who have issued me with a letter asking me to submit a retrospective planning application to be considered on its merits having regard to the Development Plan but this does not imply that permission will be granted.
This is not a development ot thr beginning of one but a rather attractive wooden shed painted light green and unobtrusive. As I sometimes sell the vegetables I grow (but not a commercial enterprise)can I plead that it is for agricultural use only, which it is?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.
To be honest, the argument that you are going to have in circumstances like this about not being liable to submit an application for planning consent is going to be more time-consuming, longer and more expensive than actually putting the application in in the first place.
By all means plead that it’s for agricultural use only and therefore there should be no need for planning consent but in view of the nature of what it is and where it is I imagine that will fall on deaf ears.
Not certain whether that answers the question for you or not but I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.