Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

What is the position in law please if a tenant gives a false

Customer Question

Hi what is the position in law please if a tenant gives a false landlords reference? Thanks.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's just general law advise I'm seeking to find out what the position is if a tenant had given a false llr. Thanks.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.
It is very difficult to answer hypothetical questions.
It is potentially attempted or actual fraud (criminal offence )although it depends what kind of loss anyone would suffer or has suffered as a result of the incorrect reference as to whether it is worth pursuing.
If an agent failed to carry out reference checks correctly, the agent may be in breach of contract.