How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69783
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm registered at an address that's my partners fathers, but

This answer was rated:

I'm registered at an address that's my partners fathers, but I haven't stayed there for approx. 7 months as I was staying at a caravan site and I didn't want me post going there as it was a communal letter box, and my partners father said it was ok to still have post sent there.
My partners father has recently put in a claim for council tax benefit but didn't put my name on the form but as i'm registered at that address it was flagged up.
I received a call for (i think) the local council to ask why I was registered there but not living there and that I might have to go down to the police station for a interview under caution and that I could be done for fraud. I work for the NHS so need a CRB check and would like to avoid the caution.
Is this right and what is the best thing for me to do? (I Hope this makes scene)
What is the fraud please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I want to no if it is fraud or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I wanted to know if what I had said was fraud but the expert just asked what is tha fraud please? This doesn't help me
Would it be possible to give me the information I asked for?
What is the alleged fraud here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't no what the alleged fraud is. This is what I would like to no. If it is fraud or not. The lady that called me said it was because I was registared to a address but not living there. I would like more information about this so I know where I stand.
However no proper name of what she told me was given.
Obviously I will have no insight into what they are alleging. I don't have access to their files.
On the face of it there isn't a fraud because you are not receiving money or benefits but really only you and they will know to what they refer.
I have no access though to the facts they are alleging.
Living otherwise than at your registered address can be fraud. It depends on your circumstances. If a person is fully self sufficient and not a drain upon the taxpayer at all then it is none of the council's business where they live. You need to register for voting and council tax and things of that nature but you are perfectly entitled to keep as many establishments as you like and not live in any of them.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no that's all. Thank you
No problem.
All the best.

Related UK Law Questions