Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Good morning, I have in the past two weeks had a comminuted

Customer Question

Good morning, I have in the past two weeks had a comminuted fracture of the wrist after training for a charity football match with my sons football team. I have had to have some major surgery and have two plates in the wrist as the bones were severely broken in ten different areas. I am a sales manager who travels for work by car to customer sites and the orthopaedic surgeon said a minimum of 6-8 weeks after the cast comes off before I can drive. My sons football team are insured and I need to fill out the forms from them, where do I stand when it comes to claiming some sort of compensation for this injury and also for loss of earnings, I am working from home but can't carry out my site visits. Would a claim result in me facing problems from the football club as I am a football coach there and do not want this to create an awkward situation for both my son and me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
It comes down to how the injury happened. Some of these insurance companies will pay out regardless because you had the activity with their client policyholder but there is actually no liability unless you can prove that someone was negligent.If no one was negligent and it simply happened (you may have been negligent yourself) then there is no liability.It really comes down to how it happened.If you let me have the circumstances of the accident, I can advise you further. Incidentally, I cannot guarantee whether would cause a problem for you with the club or not. Sometimes, injured employees don’t claim against their employer for exactly that reason. I always tell people who are thinking of bringing an injury at work claim particularly if some minor one to have a word with HR Department first. In this case, they cannot sack anyone and treat anyone differently as a result of the injury claim but what they don’t want to happen is for it to be uncomfortable. In your particular case that’s the situation you just don’t want that discomfort and sometimes even though they actually have been negligent they can take exception to you claiming from them! That’s a risk you run and you have to balance, if that’s going to happen, the pain and suffering from the injury and what you have lost as a result of it, against any unrest between you/your son and the club