Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Ben, I currently have a company car, the lease expires in July, I've been looki

Customer Question

Hi Ben,
I currently have a company car, the lease expires in July, I've been looking for an alternative car and found one like with Ford. A colleague has just left the business and the company are forcing me to take his car on which I don't want to do, they are just trying to save on the 2 year lease cost that it has left on it, do I have a choice here?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What does your contract say about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Ben,I don't believe my contract says anything about it. I'll try and give you a brief history, my manager was promoted to a company directory and in-turn I was promoted to a manager and with it came a company vehicle perk, I chose my car with this promotion. A year down the line we were acquired and tuped into this new company. During my time here I've chosen another, car 3 years ago.Do you think it's worth me dropping a mail into our HR dept. asking for a copy of my contract?Regards
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied and only just retuned back online. Your rights in these situations would very much depend on what is in your contract or what a specific policy on the subject says. As this is a company benefit, not really something covered directly by law, you will not find much help there. For example there is no law which would state that the employer cannot do what they have done. You need to see if you have any rights to always have a new car on replacement or anything similar which would basically show that in the circumstances you should not just be transferred a car used by someone else. In the absence of anything specific, either allowing or disallowing that, you are very much at the mercy of the employer, as long as they act reasonably fairly. For example if they tried to replace your relatively new car with something old and uncomfortable it may be an unreasonable action on their part. However, if it is relatively similar and only a personal dislike means it is not suitable, then that would not be much of a strong argument in the circumstances. You are certainly able to raise a grievance over this and try to challenge it that way but if that is rejected and you appeal and that also fails, then you are not left with many other options unfortunately. The only other thing you can do is to resign and claim constructive dismissal but it is a risky move and in the circumstances it is a relatively weak case to go that far. I would still suggest you get your contract and any relevant workplace policy to see exactly what you are entitled to and what the employer can do. I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you