Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
29905560

my partners daughter has sent an email to my partner which

my partners daughter has sent an email to my partner which significantly discredits my reputation. The emails contains false accusations which can be backed up by me with dates times and Facebook data to disprove all allegations. Basically they added me in Facebook and the digital trail shows this and they are now saying they didn't and that I have done this and they have called me a liar amongst other things to discredit me from him and other people waiting the family . This is causing great distress and depression on me because my reputation is in tatters and I may lose the man I love. Here is an extract:

Can you not see that it is Maria who has the history of using FB to tick people, make friends and abuse them, not me! Can I also remind you unknown to you she even created a profile of you and was friends with all of us, probably learning all about us and watching our every move!! I know that I did not ask her to be a friend of the FB page . (I have evidence which refutes all of this including original Facebook and email days proving I was added into their Facebook not the other way around.)

I just don't know what to do because this is proving to be a struggle. I also believe they created 3 LinkedIn accounts about me stating I was a porn actress, they used my name as well as location and school details. I am seeking advice from lindkin to see if we can pinpoint exact location of where these dotes were established. This had an impact on my childcare business).
Please advise.
Thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are your specific queries about all of this?
Customer: Hi my specific queries relate to the information already supplied and in particular an
Customer: my specific enquiry related to defamation of character er with reference to the email sent earlier. An email was sent to my partner which basically defames me and is trying to get him amongst others to discredit my name by accusing me of events/actions have I not taken part in. I am been called a person that uses Facebook to abuse people and that I sent up bogus accounts etc. none of this is true and can be proven via evidence - hard digital trail evidence.
Customer: my partners daughter has sent an email to my partner which significantly discredits my reputation. The emails contains false accusations which can be backed up by me with dates times and Facebook data to disprove all allegations. Basically they added me in Facebook and the digital trail shows this and they are now saying they didn't and that I have done this and they have called me a liar amongst other things to discredit me from him and other people waiting the family . This is causing great distress and depression on me because my reputation is in tatters and I may lose the man I love. Here is an extract: Can you not see that it is Maria who has the history of using FB to tick people, make friends and abuse them, not me! Can I also remind you unknown to you she even created a profile of you and was friends with all of us, probably learning all about us and watching our every move!! I know that I did not ask her to be a friend of the FB page . (I have evidence which refutes all of this including original Facebook and email days proving I was added into their Facebook not the other way around.) I just don't know what to do because this is proving to be a struggle. I also believe they created 3 LinkedIn accounts about me stating I was a porn actress, they used my name as well as location and school details. I am seeking advice from lindkin to see if we can pinpoint exact location of where these dotes were established. This had an impact on my childcare business). Please advise. Thank you
Good morning, whilst it may appear that the email is defamatory in nature it will not actually satisfy the test for defamation because for this to occur the statement must have been made sufficiently public. This means it must be made to a group of people and be in the public domain. If this was just an email sent to an individual, or even a just a few people, then it will not meet the legal test to amount to defamation. Even if it did, defamation costs thousands to pursue through the courts and would not be recommended for cases like this.

Instead if such statements or acts continue to be made, it could potentially amount to harassment. Under law (specifically the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 in civil cases and the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in criminal cases), a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.

Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.

In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment.

So in the first instance the police can be contacted and have this reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the offender could be warned that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action will be taken against them.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law