How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have been in a relationship for two years with an

This answer was rated:

I have been in a relationship for two years with an illegal immigrant,
He came here 2 years ago and was caught and detained in Ashford,and then moved to London to wait for his case. He didn't apply for asylum.As the condition in the detention was hard he escaped. I met him shortly after and he told me his story and we got together and I took care of him.He also has some friends here who helped him. We have been happy together i love his family sending presets etc
Now we decided to resolve his case somehow and went to give notice for marriage which was successful. We have all the proves and we are real couple.
Despite him being without visa,the registrats accepted and we got married in summer.
We have sent our application to UKBA application for residence card non EEA family member of EEA national.
We sent all the proves my payslips over the 2 years(i have quite good salary)tenancy agreement,passports, marriage certificates etc
Now we received a letter from UKBA that application has been received and will be resolved within six months or sooner.
He never had any problems with police and he has never been caught working or doing anything illegal.
What is our chance to get approval for residence card. Please let me know. And if there is a chance that they will come to check our house.

What nationality are you please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Latvia and Algeria


Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.


Thanks for your patience.

Provided that you have submitted the documentation that is generally asked for by the UKBA when applying for a residence card you stand a reasonable chance of getting the residence card.

This is because applying under EEA rights is different to applying under the Immigration Rules for foreign (non-EEA) nationals, where the fact that he did not have legal leave to remain and was detained and apparently escaped would be a big problem.

I would sound a note of caution about your reference to escaping from detention. This sounds quite controversial. There is an outside possibility that that the UKBA would attempt to reject this on this basis if they find that he might be a risk to the public good.

Generally, though, your article 8 rights to a family and private life are persuasive. This means that provided they accept that the relationship is credible and genuine then your right to be with your husband will get around most of the problems that a complicated immigration history like your husband’s presents.

You can probably expect that it will take the UKBA quite a long time to deal with the application because of the complications so you may have to be patient. In the event that they were to reject the application you should see a local immigration solicitor immediately about appealing.

I expect that he will eventually receive a residence card but it may take some time and you may be forced to appeal.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor