Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Is visiting a brothel criminal offence in UK?

I applied for Indefenite Leave to Remain under 10 years route in September 2013 and registered Biometrics in October 2013 and currently waiting for decision. Few days ago police questioned me when I was visiting a massage parlor. They said it was not a massage parlor but a brothel which is illegal. When they asked me why I was there, I said I was there for massage. They checked my ID and Home Office records and said that, it will be in my immigration file that- I attended a brothel and my application will be refused. Actually I just entered to the place just a minute before police arrived and didn't even receive any services. But police didn't believe me and thought I was there for sexual activities. They didn't arrest me though. I know that managing or running a brothel is illegal but attending a massage parlor or paying for massage is not illegal. I'm not sure if visiting a brothel is illegal or not. And they were advertising as massage parlor not brothel. Now my question is: (1) Is this matter really might be a reason to refuse my application? (2) If they refuse, shall I get appeal right, because in that case I might get a chance to prove that I didn't go there for sexual activities? (3) Shall I talk to solicitor now or shall I wait for the Home Office decision?

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

This is not a caution, warning or criminal conviction. Therefore, under the 'good character requirement' this incident is not disclosable to the Home Office. The police officer obviously has no idea about immigration law. There is no need for you to do anything now - just wait until you receive a response to your application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

Thanks for your answer. Are the Police going to keep a record of that incident in their database because they called someone and found my immigration history. And is it illegal to visit a brothel?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It is not illegal to visit a brothel.

But what a person does when he gets there maybe illegal!

What you did in visiting what you thought was a massage parlour is not illegal.

The police will probably keep your details on their database. Most information gathered by the police is often recorded in one form or another.

However, the fact that the police had reason to speak to you is not a crime and the Home Office will not hold it against you. This is an unproven allegation.

Alex
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. In case if they refuse, is there any chance of appeal under current immigration law under this category?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Its impossible to say at this stage. It depends on the exact reasons for refusal.