How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a British citizen but originate from Africa, my husband

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen but originate from Africa, my husband is English. We both live in England and have 2 businesses in our names. I have children in my previous marriage in Africa and had 4 children. He died whilst I was in England studying. I then married an English man after my studies. Both me and my husband looked after my children sending them money. My eldest son became the care of his siblings until 2 of them joined us here. My son who is now 31 came over as a student for which we sponsered his education and accommodation. He depends on us for his emotional support. My son then decided he would live to live here so he applied to the home office as an adult dependant. His application was however refused but was given the chance to appeal. What chance has he got?
Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service.

What was the reason for refusal?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was refused based on his age, and also that he has a sister in his home country but the sister also rely on is for financial and maintenance.
Thank you for your reply.

The only time the home office usually grant applicant's over the age of 18 permission to enter on the basis of them being the children of British nationals is if the applicant can prove that they have not married and formed another family and that they are financially dependent on you.

If you have appealed the decision then the only way the appeal has a chance of success is if your child can prove financial dependency. Appeal is like a lottery unfortunately if you get a good judge then the appeal has a better chance of success, at appeal it is always 50/50, but due to the age of the applicant being over the age of 18 then it is always difficult.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your answer about my son. Is it possible to appeal against the judge's decision?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear lawyer, Is it possible to appeal against the judge's decision?
Thank you for your reply.

Yes it is possible you can appeal to the first tier tribunal for permission to appeal to the upper tier tribunal. The judge's decision will be reviewed by an upper tier tribunal judge to decide if there has been an error in law whilst making the decision.

I hope this answers your question if.

Kind regards

Related UK Law Questions