Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello , Iam british living in Iraq and I have 2 daughters

Hello ,

Iam british living in Iraq and I have 2 daughters living in Iraq . What do I need to give them the british citizenship

How did you acquire your UK citizenship please?

Please state where and when you were born.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I acquired the citizenship by birth

I was born in glasgow in 1980 on the 27th june

Thank you

Where and when were your daughter born please?

What nationality do they presently hold?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2006 and 2007 irak nationality

Unless you state otherwise I will assume that they were born in Iraq.

Drafing your answer now. 5mins.

Thanks for your patience.

UK citizenship is permitted to descend only one generation to children born outside the UK.

If you were born in the UK prior to 1983 then you are a “British Citizen otherwise than by descent”.

This type of citizenship means that you can pass on your citizenship to any of your children born outside the UK. Therefore you can pass your citizenship on to your daughter automatically.

Your daughter will be “British Citizens by descent”. This is slightly different to yours in that they will have all the rights that you do except that they will not automatically be able to pass on their UK citizenship to such of their own children that are born outside the UK.

Your daughters can apply for passports provided that they can prove their birth and parentage with the usual documentation. If Iraq did not permit dual nationality then they would have to give up their Iraqi nationality to get a UK passport, but my understanding is that Iraq does permit dual nationally.

Entering the relevant details of your daughters in to the following link will tell you how they can apply for their UK passports. .

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,