Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

My sister has accused me of strangling her to relatives. People

My sister has accused me of strangling her to relatives. People have consequently shunned me and I am no longer able to enter my parents' house. Additionally, l was unable to attend my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I have never had any form of physical contact with my sister whatsoever that could warrant such a charge and would like to defend myself. Can I sue her for slander

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to the site. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Yes, you could sue her for defamation of character now if you wished to, assuming that what she has said is untrue.

Max Lowry :

Before doing that however, you should follow the defamation pre-action protocol.

Customer: Pre-action protocol
Customer: ?
Max Lowry :

This is a series of steps that you have to follow before you issue court proceedings.

Max Lowry :

I'll get you a link....

Max Lowry :

Here it is. If you fail to follow this, the court will likely penalise you in costs, even if you win.

Customer: What happens when l win the case? Does she have to retract the statement and pay some form of compensation?
Max Lowry :

She would have to pay compensation. That is the retraction, of sorts. The court doesn't have the power to order her to retract the earlier statement, although if she does so, it might award a lesser amount of compensation, to recognise what she has done.

Customer: Cheers Max.
Max Lowry :

You're welcome.

Max Lowry :

Do you want me to answer anything else on this for you?

Max Lowry :

If this answers your quesiton, would you rate the answer as highly as you can for me please?

Customer: That's fine Max. I am happy with the answer. Have a good weekend
Max Lowry :

Thank you - you too! :)