Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

I have full custody of our Daughter and am now living overseas

I have full custody of our Daughter and am now living overseas as is my ex but he's threatening to take me back to court over visitation.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where are you now living and how long have you lived there?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am living in the USA, my Husband is Active Duty Military. We have been here 6 months.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Did you get a Court Order allowing you to remove the Child from the UK or did her father give his permission
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put in the custody papers that I have leave to remove her from the U.K and he signed and agreed to it
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Could you clarify what you mean by "Custody papers"?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we were filling out divorce papers we had arrangement for children papers in which we had to put down what visitation he would get and how much maintenance he would pay etc
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
That is the Statement of Arrangements - which is a "snap shot" of the arrangements rather than a binding Order.
However the fact that your ex did agree to the move means that he cannot force you to return to the UK with the child - and since she is now resident in the States that is where any court hearing with regard to contact should take place
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Ex is an American but is living in Europe. Would an American Court favour him ? He has only seen her once since we got divorced in 2011
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
As I understand it the approach of the courts varies from State to State - but I also understand that in the State as here it is the needs of the child which have priority
Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience: family solictor with 25 years experience