How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 33901
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have full custody of our Daughter and am now living overseas

This answer was rated:

I have full custody of our Daughter and am now living overseas as is my ex but he's threatening to take me back to court over visitation.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where are you now living and how long have you lived there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am living in the USA, my Husband is Active Duty Military. We have been here 6 months.
Did you get a Court Order allowing you to remove the Child from the UK or did her father give his permission
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put in the custody papers that I have leave to remove her from the U.K and he signed and agreed to it
Could you clarify what you mean by "Custody papers"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When we were filling out divorce papers we had arrangement for children papers in which we had to put down what visitation he would get and how much maintenance he would pay etc
That is the Statement of Arrangements - which is a "snap shot" of the arrangements rather than a binding Order.
However the fact that your ex did agree to the move means that he cannot force you to return to the UK with the child - and since she is now resident in the States that is where any court hearing with regard to contact should take place
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Ex is an American but is living in Europe. Would an American Court favour him ? He has only seen her once since we got divorced in 2011
As I understand it the approach of the courts varies from State to State - but I also understand that in the State as here it is the needs of the child which have priority
Clare and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions