Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I guy I know contacted me online and we struck up a friendship,

Hi, I guy I know contacted me online and we struck up a friendship, initially getting on really well, but as we are both married we just used to chat. A few times he propositioned me and I laughed if off but when I was going through a tough time I found our conversation became more sexual and on one occasion I sent a photo. Recently he sent me nasty messages saying he never wanted to speak to me again and some other things, threatening to put the photo online. I admit that I have texted him a few times just to ask what it is I did and why we can't be adults. His last message yesterday said he has contacted the police and sent them my messages and the photo and if I ever speak to him again they will deal with me. Also he has sent it to other people. Help! I have never threatened him or his family verbally or physically, in fact he has been scarier than me. Although I don't want to speak to him can the police visit me???
Hi

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Does he have your contact details?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has my mobile number

Is it contract or pay as you go?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Contract

Thanks.

On the fact that you mention, I'm afraid the police could be summonsed. You are describing a harassment at the very least and a malicious communication possibly.

These are very low level offences though so the police are not going to devote huge resources to the investigation. Since this is a contract phone they can trace you very easily from the network though so its 50-50 really.

Overall, my guess would be that all they would do is call you on that number and tell you to stop contacting him. That is called a harassment warning and amounts to a positive disposal from their point of view. That is very easy for them to achieve so it would be my estimate.

It is possible that they could trace you I'm afraid but my guess is that they would not.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.