Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I was sentenced to 6 months in prison. I want to leave the

I was sentenced to 6 months in prison. I want to leave the Country for a week months. Am I able to do this while on licence?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will try to help with this.

Do you have the permission of your probation officer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I do not have a probation officer as I was sentenced to less than 12 months.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
But you are released on licence so you should be under the supervision of probation?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Well i don't have a probation officer that I go see. I am currently on HDC until the end of the month. I don't have to go see a probation officer and I only have licence conditions attached to my tag.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

That is all I need to know. You are on HDC and so unfortunately you are required to be at your designated curfew location during the hours of curfew. If you moved abroad then you could not.

You can apply to vary an address to the Prison Governor. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you that the chances are high. They will generally allow it in cases where, for instance, a person can no longer live at the address in question. I've even seen cases where variations for Christmas Day so that people could seek family were refused.

After HDC curfew comes to an end then your options will be greater. You will be on standard licence conditions. That does require that you keep in touch with your supervising officer although we all know what that means given the resources of probation but most importantly you can't travel outside the UK without the permission of your supervising officer.

That is not to say that permission would be refused but it should be sought to avoid a recall.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Since I was sentenced to less than 12 months I do not have a supervising probation officer as I don't need to attend. How would I find out who this is?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
There will be a supervising officer. They just won't be doing anything. Somebody will be nominated in some way.

Just call probation and ask them.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok thank you