Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

I left UAE 15 months ago due to family emergency and had a

I left UAE 15 months ago due to family emergency and had a credit card loan to buy a car .Came home with good intentions but did not repay loan as could not return due to family Illness . Solicitors letters have recently arrived at my mothers address threatening to file bankruptcy against me.Are these letters just trying trying to reclaim the debt by threat? is there a reciprocal agreement between UAE and UK ? Should I file a set aside stating that this is not a UK debt and there is no reciprocal agreement between UAE and UK . I am currently unable to pay full amount as have been a student for one year and have not started earning yet . Your advice would be appreciated . Barry
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.

How much is owed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid that there is a memorandum of guidance for the enforcement of judgments between the UAE and UK. As such you may wish to see if you can negotiate directly with the creditor to see if you can find a resolution to the dispute. As this is a significant sum if money they may very well look to enforce.