How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69160
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made a assault allegation, made a statement to the

This answer was rated:

I made a sexual assault allegation, made a statement to the police. What happens now? do they continue their investigation even though I told them I did not want to take it any further?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is this the first time you have made an allegation of assault please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For Jo C. yes it is.

Is this within the context of a domestic incident please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it was an assault on the street


They probably would allow you to withdraw that. Its not a domestic incident and you have only made this one report. There isn't really a reason to consider summonsing you.

If you do withdraw your statement though then they would stop investigating. If anybody has already been arrested then there would need to be a conclusion of the case against him but if nobody has been arrested then they would probably just file the case.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I made one statement just after the incident and the the police came to my home the next day to clarify details as I was intoxicated the night it happened. I told them that I would not like to take it any further as I wasn't sure of details etc. As I made 2 reports would they be likely to pursue my case without me going along with it, like reviewing cctv for example? will they contact me again?

Not if the two statements relate to the same incident.
Obviously there are some people who spend half their lives down the police station making allegations of abuse. Those are the ones generally who are summonsed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how exactly does someone withdraw a statement? is it enough that I told the officers at my home that I did not want anything more to do with the investigation? I do not want them to continue with the investigation for personal reasons. If I withdraw my statement does it mean then can charge me with wasting police time? I would be satisfied leaving everything how it is if I knew they would not continue to investigate, how likely is it that my case will just be filed away?

You can also make a statement to that effect but thats for the police to organise.

You don't have a right to demand that tet allow you to retract but often they will.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69160
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor