Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I made a assault allegation, made a statement to the

I made a sexual assault allegation, made a statement to the police. What happens now? do they continue their investigation even though I told them I did not want to take it any further?
Hi

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is this the first time you have made an allegation of assault please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Jo C. yes it is.

Is this within the context of a domestic incident please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it was an assault on the street

Thanks.

They probably would allow you to withdraw that. Its not a domestic incident and you have only made this one report. There isn't really a reason to consider summonsing you.

If you do withdraw your statement though then they would stop investigating. If anybody has already been arrested then there would need to be a conclusion of the case against him but if nobody has been arrested then they would probably just file the case.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I made one statement just after the incident and the the police came to my home the next day to clarify details as I was intoxicated the night it happened. I told them that I would not like to take it any further as I wasn't sure of details etc. As I made 2 reports would they be likely to pursue my case without me going along with it, like reviewing cctv for example? will they contact me again?

Not if the two statements relate to the same incident.
Obviously there are some people who spend half their lives down the police station making allegations of abuse. Those are the ones generally who are summonsed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how exactly does someone withdraw a statement? is it enough that I told the officers at my home that I did not want anything more to do with the investigation? I do not want them to continue with the investigation for personal reasons. If I withdraw my statement does it mean then can charge me with wasting police time? I would be satisfied leaving everything how it is if I knew they would not continue to investigate, how likely is it that my case will just be filed away?

You can also make a statement to that effect but thats for the police to organise.

You don't have a right to demand that tet allow you to retract but often they will.