Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters

Can my company force me to take on a new role that was previously

Can my company force me to take on a new role that was previously carried out by two people working full time? the new role will combine all the responsibilities and workload of the two jobs. I have been employed by them full time for 8 years.

Jenny Mackenzie : Hello and welcome to Just Answer, what has happened to the role you were originally employed to do?

it's being combined with a similar position, so overall responsibility/workload in the new role is twice what it is in the current job.
my role has changed several times at the company -- current one for 2 years.

Jenny Mackenzie : So has the person who originally performed the other role now left the business?

they're moving to another existing role that was made vacant by someone else leaving

Jenny Mackenzie :

Ok legally your employer can ask you to take on additional tasks if the contract allows for it. The employer should be reasonable though and it may amount to a breach of trust and confidence if you are being given a job that you cannot physically undertake. In particular it would be unreasonable for you to be performance managed if the role is an impossible one to perform.

Jenny Mackenzie :

I would suggest you raise a formal grievance citing your concerns that you are being expected to do a new role. If the contract does not state that you may be expected to undertake additional duties you should point this out to them and state that you are not prepared to take them on.

Jenny Mackenzie :

You are also within your rights to state that you are not prepared to take the job on without additional remuneration to compensate you.