Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

if I was attacked in my own home and received injuries such

if I was attacked in my own home and received injuries such as knife wounds or cuts, what could I the intruder to get in a sentence how many years?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.Was this during the course of a burglary please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Jo!

Not exactly but more like a case of mistaken revenge attack!

How bad were the injuries please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The woman sustained a deep lasseration to her right bum check 4inches long leaving a long scar1

Sorry but I'm not clear what has happened here.
You are saying that she broke in and you reacted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Jo

No! this is what happened to a female friend of mine! someone attacked her in her home! where she sustained injuries as mentioned.

Did the laceration require stitching?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes It should have done! her wounds was over 4 inches in length!

Yes, but the issue is the depth of the cut.

The truth is that it depends what the charge is to be. They can indict burglary if they can prove an intention to cause GBH but thats a high test to reach.

Probably they would just charge either ABH or GBH. Obviously I haven't seen these injuries and sometimes you have to see injuries to assess their seriousness. Probably it straddles between the two.

If its to be an ABH then its in the highest category and the starting point is 18 months and the range is 1 year to 3 years.

If its to be a S20 GBH then the starting point is 2 years and the range is 1-4 years.

There is an outside chance of a S18 but then you have to prove intent to cause GBH which is always quite hard to do.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Jo!

I have a separate issue regarding property law and Family law! will you be able to assist?

Thats almost certainly not my area but if you post another question somebody will be able to help.

If you are on subscription then it won't cost you any extra.

Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.