Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My mother died of an alcoholic liver last month, she was

My mother died of an 'alcoholic liver' last month, she was an alcoholic. My question relates to her boyfriend, she lived with him for 10 years, before they met he was in debt. Last September she was told that she needed to quit drinking or would die within 2 years. On hearing this her boyfriend would drink with her regularly, buy her alcohol and pour her drink, he stood to gain the house, for which she paid but bought in both their names and is the beneficiary to her pension scheme. He sent texts stating that there was nothing wrong with her, when there evidently was. The question I have is, does the law recognize him as having any accountability? I'm under the impression that he had a duty of care to her. Knowing she only had 2 years to live if she carried on drinking, instead of trying to make her stop he encouraged it.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.

I am afraid that the law will not recognise that he had a duty of care with respect to stopping her from drinking. I am sorry this is a disappointing answer, but no duty exists.