Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters

Hi there, My partner is worried she is about to lose her

Hi there,

My partner is worried she is about to lose her job. She returned to work after an extended maternity leave (it was extended for medical reasons) in June. On returning to work she discovered that her position had been filled by a new employee and subsequently her hours were cut from 3 days a week to 2 days a week and her pay was reduced to the same level as new members of staff she is responsible for training.

Several things have happened since she returned to work. She is essentially frozen out of meetings she previously would have had input in. The woman who covered her while she was on maternity leave has been promoted above her. Her boss has requested a meeting with my partner on Monday after she requested to have extra hours. She has been informed that not only can she not have extra hours and that there has been a change in funding (it's a charity) and she is worried that she'll lose her job as a result.

My questions are, does she have a case for constructive dismissal if she does lose her job? Would she be likely to receive redundancy money?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jenny Mackenzie :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, has she been employed for more than 2 years?

Hello, thank you. Yes she has worked for them for three years.

Jenny Mackenzie :

Hi yes this would amount to unfair dismissal and also potentially sex discrimination as women on materntiy leave are protected in employment law. She should raise a grievance about the way she has been treated. If she is dismissed she should appeal and then claim using the form she will find at

Jenny Mackenzie :

She is not entitled to redundancy pay as the work she was doing still exists.

Jenny Mackenzie :

I would suggest she complains about her treatment now as I have suggested.

Jenny Mackenzie :

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Great, thanks very much for your answer. I will suggest she does those things.