Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, I met an English/Australian (William Avery) guy on line

Hi, I met an English/Australian (William Avery) guy on line who claims to be on the Atwood Hunter off Ghana in the Jubilee Oil Fields. We have been chatting a few months and he asked me to take in a parcel for him. Now a Mr Stanley McGiven from the so call UK Border Agency and a Diplomat Alhaji Asaf Sayed have been contacting me. They have asked me to top up mobile number and also to send money to Felix Knight in Ghana to pass to the Syrian Diplomat. Another scam?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

For what purpose does this person say that you need to transfer this money?

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So this parcel can be released from UK Border Agency and to pay Diplomat

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.
Right, but what has that got to do with you and what do they say that you would get out of it?

Tom
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That he is offshore on the rig Atwood Hunter and cannot access his bank. He wants us to be together when he returns as retiring at end of the year. He is on line now pushing me to make the payment.

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Have you actually met him in person?

Tom
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No, he sends pictures of him and his son, but that could be anyone.

Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I would steer well clear. The simplest explanation in these situations tends to be the correct one: it is most likely a scam.

There are many scams like this which originate from the internet. There is no earthly reason why the UKBA should be holding documents for release to a diplomat. It’s simply not what the UKBA do, they are there to regulate immigration in to the UK. They are not there to deal with suspicious release of documents to diplomats.

Frankly, I would end the correspondence there or tell them that you will not be releasing any money to them or get involved in any way in picking the package up. Say you have to protect yourself and if they need assistance then they should instruct a solicitor or lawyer to deal with whatever (highly suspicious) matter they are asking you to deal with.

It’s a common form of scam. I would be ASTONISHED if this was not a scam.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor