Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I signed a contract with someone to build something for me

I signed a contract with someone to build something for me to meet the deadline. He however, was not able to make the deadline and ask me for additional sum of money to complete the project. Am i obliged to pay him the additional money?

Please explain to me in legal principles. I would like to do some research about this matter.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Did you agree that time was of the essence?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes it was. The timing was very important, because it can result in huge damages that may deprive me of my substantial benefit. I need the thing to complete a major project, which without it my company will suffer huge losses.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.

Why does he want more money to complete the job?

Have you paid?

How much money is involved?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

He need it to complete the job on time.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.

There is actually case law on this and the answer is quite
convoluted.

An agreement to pay more money can be sufficient consideration if
you derive practical benefit. There must also be no economic duress.

The leading case is Williams v Roffey and Google will give you plenty of reading
however the circumstances are a bit different in that the contractor was
offered more money to get the job completed on time and the extra money that
was offered, was never paid. That is why he sued so it is a bit different than
yours in that in the case I quote they offered money whereas in your case, it
is being demanded.

It is also worth googling Stilk v Myrick which is probably closer
to your scenario.

In your particular case I think you are entitled to rely on the
price that is quoted. In addition, he is demanding money to finish the job
which puts you under pressure.

From a practical point of view, I would agree to pay him what he
is demanding but then don't pay it and let him sue you or, if he will not
finish the work without payment, pay him, wait until the job is finished and
then sue him for the money back on the basis that paid the pressure/duress

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.

Regards.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make sense.
It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you! You are truly amazing! this is the type of answer I was looking for!

:)