Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Hertz are still pursuing me for the cost of a SLOW flat tyre.

Hertz are still pursuing me for the cost of a SLOW flat tyre. see question and previous answer on this link:-
http://www.justanswer.com/archives/search-solr.aspx?q=hertz&c=55490

I am getting annoyed with Hertz constantly writing to me when I have told them the contract was closed and paid for after the car was checked by there staff.

Can I bill them for my time to reply to there calls, letters and emails?

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to the site. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Sadly, it's not possible to recover this type of compensation for having to deal with pointless claims like the one that seems to be made against you. You can only do that in claims worth more than £10,000, and then the recovery cost is limited to £10 p/hour.

Max Lowry :

Your only options now are: 1) ignore them, 2) continue to engage with them and accept you can't recover your costs or 3) issue a court claim against them for a declaration that you're not liable.

Customer:

is option 3 something i can do easily?

Max Lowry :

Yes, pretty easily. You issue a claim form, you have to do it the old fashioned way though, on paper in the county court.

You ask the court to declare the legal position - so you're not asking for money (as you do in most claims) you're asking for it to tell you what the legal position is and whether you owe them money.

Max Lowry :

Do you want me to explain this a bit more? Or do you think ignoring them is the easiest and better way to go?

Max Lowry :

If it were me, I would probably just ignore them until they sued me, then I'd defend it.

Customer:

hi max the link does not work, what is the neme of the form please

Max Lowry :

It's an N1 Claim Form. Let me try another link for you.

Max Lowry :

That works - I just checked it for you.