Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

I believe I was mis-sold my multi-car insurance. When I purchased

I believe I was mis-sold my multi-car insurance. When I purchased it, I specifically asked if I was covered to drive other vehicles (as it was something I wanted)- to which they replied "yes". A few months passed and I was unfortunately involved in an accident. After reporting it to my insurance company, they told me they will not pay, as I was driving my fathers car at the time - which is not on my policy. I replied "i was told i was covered to drive other vehicles"? Again - they said: "You are covered as an 'extension' of your policy, but we will not pay for the damage". Can I get any advice on this please as I'm not really sure what to do? I did recently check their multi car policy online, which completely contradicts what I was told on the phone.. Many thanks.

Jenny Mackenzie :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, do you have a ocpy of your own insurance policy which sets out what is covered and which exclusions apply?

Customer:

Hi, I purchased the policy online & on the phone, so I have digital records of my policy.

Customer:

The issue is, when I spoke to them on the phone, before I purchased, I asked specifically whether or not I was covered to drive other vehicles - and they told me that i was -- based on this answer I then proceeded to purchase. At no point did they highlight that I was required to declare the other vehicles or get a separate policy for them - which their online documentation says IS required. Regardless, I confirmed with them a second time upon reporting the incident, and they still acknowledged that I WAS covered to drive other vehicles, but then continued that it was only an 'extension' of my insurance, but would not make them liable to pay damages..

Customer:

They want me to call them within the next 30 minutes, and I'm really not sure how to go about approaching this..

Jenny Mackenzie :

Ok but can I just clarify whether you were sent an electronic version of the policy which set out the full policy details and exclusions? If so was this excluded on the written policy version (I am aware that you were told that you would be covered and purchased on that basis.

Customer:

Yes, they sent me an email linking to my 'policy documents' which are attached to my account interface on their website. I do not believe that these documents include any indication of whether or not I am covered though. I did check, and saw no mention about it. I had to search for their 'general policy' to find information on whether or not I was covered.

Jenny Mackenzie :

If you need to contact them quickly I would suggest that you ask them to listen to the original sales calll, they often record the calls for 'training purposes' so may have a transcript of the call. You should say that you feel that the policy was orally misrepresented to you and as a result you are now in a position whereby you are uninsured. You should ask them to comment on this and respond to you in writing. You should state that if the matter is not satisfactorily resolved you will have no option but to refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudmsan for a determination.

Jenny Mackenzie :

This will show them that you really do mean business and that you are aggrieved by this and are taking it seriously.

Jenny Mackenzie :

If they say that they do not have a record of the recording you can make a formal request for any information they have about the call under the Data Protection Act.

Customer:

Ok, I will give that a try.

Customer:

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Jenny Mackenzie :

If they do not have a transcript of the call then it is a bit more difficult as it will come down to your word against theirs as to what was said. I would suggest that you write out what you remember of the call and include it in the correspondence.

Customer:

Ok

Jenny Mackenzie :

If you have any further questions please ask. If you are happy with my answer I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. thank you and all the best.