Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Further to my current situation: 1. Can I change the locks

Further to my current situation:

1. Can I change the locks or will this get me in to trouble?
2. Can I remove items of my property from the flat, keeping in mind that he has paid no rent?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have not yet obtained an order for possession then you cannot change the locks. He has a right to possession of the property until you have an order for possession from Court.

Once you have the order for possession and the time for the tenant to vacate has expired then you can change the locks but I would suggest that you get a warrant for execution at this point so that the court bailiffs actually effect eviction (sometimes tenants allege assault upon eviction, particularly if they are problem tenants as this one appears to be).

If the items are items that you agreed the tenant could have use of during the tenancy then you cannot remove them until you have possession.

If they are simply items that you stored there with the tenant’s consent then you can remove them, yes.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,