How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32972
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a property landlord who had a dispute with a former tenant.

Resolved Question:

I am a property landlord who had a dispute with a former tenant. Because the amount of money disputed was greater than the deposit, we ended up going through the small claims court. On the day of the hearing, my former tenant (the defendant) did not show up and I was granted judgement for the full sum with costs and interest.
The defendant then claimed that she was confused and applied to the court to have the judgement set aside and to have the hearing. We had a hearing specifically on that point. However, the judge once again ruled in my favour, in so far as she upheld the judgement, considering that the defendant's justification for not attending the initial hearing was inadequate. Apparently, the defendant can also appeal against this judgement. However, when I asked if I could claim additional interest for the delays imposed by this lengthy process, the judge said I could not. Since the defendant has stated that she does intend to appeal again, is there any way in which I can claim interest for these additional delays?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to RATE once you get my answer.

How much are you owed in the judgment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Currently, a little bit under £3,000
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid then that you are not able to claim extra interest. Interest crystallises on the date of the judgment and that is why it can be claimed as on that date.
Thomas Judge and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions