How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70118
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, how long does a warrant of arrest stay active for a minor

This answer was rated:

Hi, how long does a warrant of arrest stay active for a minor assault charge?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I was an international postgraduate student in 2008 when i was arrested by the police for a minor assault charge. at the station i was represented by a solicitor and she represented me in court. The judge/magistrate decided that another court date should be proper to investigate the case further. I was given a bail to attend but due to my visa overstay I had to leave the UK and I'm not sure if there is a warrant for my arrest upon arriving in the UK in the future. Please advice

Thanks for the information.

If you didn't surrender to bail then there is likely to be a warrant for your arrest I'm afraid.

Unfortunately it is valid indefinitely although I think it is fair to say that the police would not generally seek to enforce a warrant that is 20 years old.

You may have been tried in absence. Its difficult to say. If you left the UK and the Crown knew of that then they may well have taken the view that a prosecution wasn't in the public interest and dropped the case.

To find out if an arrest warrant exists you can phone either the court in question or the local police station. Usually they are very helpful and will tell you.

I'm very sorry if this is a bad news but I can only give you truthful information.

Can I assist further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try to phone the local police but i really need to know if i should declare this information when applying for a UK business visa?! If i declare it and it's not there (5 years ago) then this will result in a delay and may harm my career too. If i don't declare it then this might be a deception! Will the local police give me any information over the phone?

I wouldn't know about that I'm afraid. I'm a criminal specialist not an immigration one and your question was about crime originally.

We do have an immigration department and you can post a question in there.

The police should give you that information. If they will not then you'll have to get a solicitor to check it but usually they are very helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm willing to pay the fees to your office if you could make an inquiry on my behalf. Would that be possible?

This is a question and answer site. I can give you general information but can't make enquiries on your behalf.

However, in principle a solicitor can do that for you. Any criminal firm will do that for some clients. Its fair to say that some will not do it for everybody but if they think you will instruct them on any case arising then they might.
Jo C. and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions