Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I signed a lease car order form 7 days ago and have just recieved

I signed a lease car order form 7 days ago and have just recieved the finance documents, which i have not signed as i have decided i do not want to go ahead with the lease.
They are now charging me a fee of the initial deposit of the car (£400) and the first monthly payment (£250) as a cancellation fee. Is this legal? Am i entitled to a cooling off period as I ordered over the phone and signed the order form and sent this back by post?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Was any cooling off period specified in the lease that you signed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No no cooling off period was stated - on the car order form it did state that if i were to cancel i would be liable for the first month rental but i was under the inpression i would still have a 7 day cooling off period, especially as i hadnt signed any finance agreements.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Is this a commercial lease or are you a private individual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Private individual

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Until you have signed anything, you are not bound by anything.

In addition, you have seven days from when you receive all the
documents back, to cancel in any event under the Distance Selling Regulations notwithstanding
your cancellation rights under the Consumer Credit Act.

I would write back to them and tell them that you have been
advised that you are under no obligation to pay anything and that if they feel
differently, they should take you to the Small Claims Court.

I wouldn't be paying anything unless the court ordered me to,
based upon the fact that you have given.

You are possibly liable for the first month's rental if you agree
to that but they would not be getting it out of me easily. I too am of the
opinion that you get seven days from when the paperwork comes back to you, not
from when you send it out.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further or answer any
specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please
ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.

Regards.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answer, but I am just a bit concerned as i have signed something - i signed the intial order form where it states there is a cancellation fee applicable. Am i still ok to go back to them and say i am under no obligation to pay?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

In my opinion, yes you are.

Under the distance selling regulations, you have seven days to
cancel and I would rely on that and I would tell them that. If they feel
differently, they can take you to court and if I was you, I would be going to
court and defend it.

The worst that can happen is that the judge disagrees with you
and me and you have to pay the £250. They would not get it out of me easily!

This is small claims court and they will not get their legal
costs back even if they win