Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law

Hello, I am planning a visit in October. I left the UK in 1981,

Hello, I am planning a visit in October. I left the UK in 1981, just want some peace of mind that I will not have any trouble entering again. I did have a court case but it was resolved. Just a worry, do not want to spoil my visit after all this time. Seeing my grandchildren for the first time. Can you help?
Thank you for your question. Can you tell me what nationality you are. Are you an US citizen? What for of court case were you involved in ? What is causing you concern?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am a US citizen, the case involved theft from a employer. Just want some peace of mind that I will be able to enter the UK with no problems.

Thank you

Hi thank you for your answer. As you may know US citizens do not require a visa and there is no reason why you should not enter the UK. An offence 30 years ago is not something you are required to disclose under the rehabilitation of offenders legislation as long as you were not imprisoned for more than 2.5 years. Generally any lesser offence lapses within 10 years if not before.