Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

Hi, May I sell vegetables on a table on my driveway?

May I sell vegetables on a table on my driveway?
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Presumably these are home grown vegetables?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes :)
OK thanks. It's not illegal to sell home grown vegetables from your driveway but if you're doing this as a business then you may be liable for tax on any profit that you make. Also depending on the quantity and type of vegetable you may have to apply for permission from your local environmental health department of the council - there are different rules that relate to allotment, farm and home grown produce. The rules vary a little from district to district so it would be worthwhile speaking to the council to seek their views. Apart from these two issues there is no rule against growing and selling your own produce.