Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (HONS) Over 23 years legal experience specialising in Property law and Wills/Estates
16368554

Hello, I currently live in Italy, but before leaving the UK

Hello, I currently live in Italy, but before leaving the UK a dear friend of the family named me executor of her will. It has now come to my notice that the said will has been changed. Is the executor of the former will officially advised of the change by the solicitor in possession of the written document?
Thank you for your attention.

Mr. G. S. Canuso

Hi Mr Canuso,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I'm afraid that an Executor is not entitled to be told if a Will has been changed/they have bee removed as Executor. A Will, and the contents of it, only becomes legally binding upon the death of the Testator and in the meantime, is entitled to change her Will without reference to any of the former Executors or beneficiaries.

I would have hoped that your friend would have notified you, but perhaps she has changed Executors as it would not be very practical for you to remain as such if you are living in Italy.

I hope this answers your question and if so I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL