Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My friend has signed a contract to buy a used car with a dealer

My friend has signed a contract to buy a used car with a dealer (XXXXX XXXXX), She has put a £100.00 deposit on the car, she signed 2 days ago. She now has second thoughts about the car, can she cancel the contract under the cooling off period (Scots law only please).
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.

Where was the car bought
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Though question was quite explicit, you dont tell me what other information you require. This is urgent no more stalling please

Under the Distance Selling Regulations you can cancel a distance contract at any time during the "cancellation period" by notifying this intention to the supplier in writing. At times this is also referred to as the "cooling-off period".

The reason I asked specifically where you entered into the contract is that this is important in these regulations.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My friend signed for car in showroom face to face with the salesman, do these regulations apply in these circumstances, is the cooling off period applicable even though it was not a distance contract? Thanks

Then the distance selling will sadly not apply. She will need to look at the contract to see whether she has agreed to buy the car and whether there is a cooling off period in the contract. Many companies would still let her walk away for the loss of the deposit.