Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

A declaration of Trust was set up between my sister and myself. I

A declaration of Trust was set up between my sister and myself.

I brought a flat with two friends and when they moved on my sister and I took on the mortgage (she never lived in the flat) we paid them £1,000 each. When I got married last year my wife and I took on the mortgage and as the valuations for the flat were so varied my sister's husband insisted we sign a Declaration of Trust so that if we sold she would get 10,000 if it sold for between £200k and £220k. I verbally asked and my sister confirmed that costs associated with the sale would come off sale figure first. We have not sold the flat and my sisters husband is demanding £10k and does not acknowledge any associated costs. They never sent me a copy of the document so I have chased and my sister never signed it or had it witnessed. Is it still a valid document? This is a difficult family situation. Many thanks.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to RATE once you get my answer.

If your sister never signed the document then it is not valid. As such you revert to the original document.

I hope that this helps

Please remember to rate