UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

I am a British subject and my wife is Bulgarian. We got married

I am a British subject and my wife is Bulgarian. We got married on 27 June 2013 at the Town Hall Llandudno Wales. My wife wants to take my surname and be officially known as Mrs Ellis on her passport and I.D. card. But the Bulgarian officials will not accept the marriage certificate as it does not state on a British marriage certificate that she has changed her surname, even with an Apostel stamp from the commonwealth office.
Is there some way we can get an official document to state that she has taken my surname after marriage.
Thanks XXXXX [email protected]
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE.

In this case she would need to officially change her name from her current name to her new name which she wishes to use. She would therefore need to obtain a change of name deed or a deed poll. Please see the following link:

Once she has filled in the appropriate form she can then get this signed by a solicitor and then have it sworn as a legal document. She can then send this to the foreign office who will put their seal on the document and it can then be used abroad. This should be sufficient for the Bulgarian authorities to issue her passport in her new name.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regard