Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Sorry need to remove my name from a joint council tenancy,

Sorry need to remove my name from a joint council tenancy, both party is in agreement, is there a cost to do this, or a just a letter to the council
Hi
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Whose names are XXXXX XXXXX tenancy at the moment
What does the form say that gives you cause for concern?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire

My name and my ex partner, I have move out for over a year now, the form is asking to terminate the agreement, and council have the right to evict by giving 28 days notice

Hi
have you told the council you simply want your name removed?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, and they say I had to fill the form which I fill does not have great reading for something so simple when both party is in agreement and put my sons at risk.

Caswell

Hi
I think you are right to be concerned - what you have described does sound like a formal termination of tenancy and that could have implications for your ex and the child.
Instead I would write a simple letter signed by you both confirming that you wish your name to be removed from the tenancy.
If they send this form back again then your ex needs to ask them to confirm in writing that a new tenancy ON THE EXISTING PROPERTY will be issued immediately
If they will not do that then the only safe way forward is to go the court route and get an order transferring the tenancy into her sole name
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire