Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

If am employee opts for redundancy

If am employee opts for redundancy after declining an alternative job in a new location for a valid reason, when does the contract terminate? Immediately? Does the employee have to stay on for handover purposes? If the employee agrees to stay on, should travel costs be paid for by the company? 

Ben Jones :

Hello again, your job will continue until your employer gives you notice and that period expires. They could give you notice immediately and terminate your employment by paying you in lieu of notice or they could ask you to work through your notice period. However, if the notice period has to be worked in the new location then you can argue that this is a change to your contractual terms and conditions and you can refuse to do it (unless there is a clause that could require you to work in different locations for a limited period of time). So it then depends on your contract and whether there is a relocation clause or a clause which can expect you to travel to different sites

I will be paid in lieu.

I will be paid in lieu of my notice since I cannot work it in the new location. I am just wondering if I agreed to stay on in order to handover let's say two week, can I ask for expenses to be paid?

Ben Jones :

you can ask but they do not have to be paid - by accepting to work at the new location you will agree to the terms that are on offer, if they do not offer expenses you do not have to work there, but at the same time you can use the fact you are prepared to work there to try and agree in expenses