Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
29905560

My employer has moved offices to another city and given us

My employer has moved offices to another city and given us the option to take redundancy or to trial new location. To make the move easier in terms of our increased travel costs, the employer covered the difference in costs between the previous location and new location. During the trial period, shouldn't the employer cover the entire costs of travel to the new location given that we are not contracted to work in the new location and should be treated in the same way an employee would claim back on travel expenses when they go out to a meeting.

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

Customer:

8 years

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your patience. The employer is not expected to cover the costs from your full costs for travel to the new location. It is assumed that you can still make your way to the old location as you have always done, and which is something you would not be paid for, and after that it would be a matter of covering the costs to the new location. In fact the law does not require the employer to cover any costs for the new location - you can trial it on the terms you have been offered and that does not have to include additional compensation for increased travel. However, it means that if you believe this increased travel time and costs make it unsuitable for you, you can reject it and opt for redundancy instead.

I hope this has answered your query and would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law